Counseling Department
Consider this two-year plan
  • Explore career options with your counselor and OCIS (Ohio Career Information System). The link for OCIS is available on computer desktops throughout the building.

  • Talk to your career tech instructor about schools he/she recommends for your field.

  • Volunteer in your community!! Lots of scholarships ask for listing of community activities.

  • Check out schools of interest on the internet. Schools typically have lots of information on their websites including programs/majors; enrollment; location; admission requirements and procedures.

  • If you are interested in attending a four-year university right after graduation, you should plan to take the ACT in June at the end of your junior year. The registration deadline is usually close to May 1. Register online at www.actstudent.orgCheck with your counselor if you need help. There is also a test in September with a registration deadline in August.

  • Over the summer – start visiting schools.

  • Continue with your community activities.
    • Narrow down your choices of schools. If you intend to go to a four year university be sure you pay close attention to application deadlines. Also check on the procedure and deadline for financial aid from the university.

    • Edison Community College has a College Fair (usually in September) and UVCC students are permitted to make arrangements with counselors and instructors to attend.

    • Take the ACT test in October or December if :
      • You plan to attend a four year university
      • You took the test in June and want to improve your score
    • Some colleges require the SAT. See your associate school counselor for info if you want to take the SAT

    • Start searching for scholarships.
      • UVCC and other local scholarships will be publicized through Student Services in the fall and throughout the year. Check with your associate school counselor regarding scholarships from your home school.
      • Applications for “early decision” to four-year universities are typically submitted in October.

    • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) in January. 
      • The FAFSA is necessary for financial aid from colleges, universities and technical schools. This is the form necessary to qualify for federal and state grants and loans.

    • Apply to technical schools and community colleges in February.

    • Also apply for financial aid from the school.
Welcome New Counselor
Lindsey Riethman,
937.778.1980 ext. 237
Crisis Hotline
Call or Text 

Helpful Websites
Contact Information

8811 Career Drive, Piqua, Ohio 45356
Phone: 937.778.1980 | Fax: 937.778.4677

See All Locations…

Student Enterprise
Parent Login
Bids & Auctions
© 2017. Upper Valley Career Center. All Rights Reserved. School CMS Created by eSchoolView
Quick-Edit Login